Wednesday, September 14, 2005

the late late show

yea.... stayed up to watch the late show with conan... just to see switchfoot perform, which was about 1:35am. needless to say, I didn't roll out of bed until 7:35am. What time do I leave my apartment for work? Yep, 7:35am. Amazingly, I got here at 8:14am and still beat 4 out of 5 co-workers. At least they don't care too much about punctuality... not as much as I do.

incase you haven't gotten their new cd, RUN, don't walk, to get it! and read the lyrics intently. I worry with their new cds if their sound will change, be less powerful, less creative, sell out, shift to pop or something... but I think I don't need to fear that. their stuff just keeps getting better and better.

I watched the documentary about making this album, while on the road. man, I watch this stuff and think... it would be great to be in a rock band. or marry a rock band guy. (I mean, I'd marry Tim Foreman. He wears a plaid blazer!!) It's clear they love what they do... and I can't wait to see them again in October.

ok, enough enough, I'll stop the rambling. Besides, you'll get more installments about switchfoot as the concert approaches...

so. wednesday. sigh.

3 comments:

Jackson said...

it's a really sincerely-questioning kind of album. it's funny, because it talks so much about the emptiness of materialism and an entertainment-based culture, and the questions come from a kind of search for a coherent alternative. But if you just go back to "The Beautiful Letdown," it's like there's your answer. I remember how you observed that the gospel was all over it.
I like their new album, especially "Lonely Nation" and "Easier Than Love" and "Politicians." I think their strongest tracks are the ones with the aggressive, heartfelt culture-criticism. Plus they sound awesome.

Kristi said...

no kidding, awesome indeed. in some ways, though, i felt like this album was the answer to the "beautiful letdown" - notice the theme throughout, not just limited to their hit single, about the "stars" and the "sky" and the world caving in... it's all about looking above, beyond us, [to God], for that answer, for that hope. See Jon Foreman's comments on the songs here. At least for the track "The Blues" he mentions this as being a response to "Beautiful Letdown"

I found "Lonely Nation" and "We are One Tonight" really catchy mainly for the pull-you-into-it kind of rock.

Lyrically I love all of it, but right now I'm digging "Easier Than Love" and "The Shadow Proves the Sunshine."

Their "ballads" have a very different feel on this album. I like it.

I got the CD with the DVD on the back, and the documentary of them making this album while on the road is pretty neat to watch. Jon Foreman actually sings the lyrics to "Shadow..." into a baby grand to get the piano strings resonating...

Jackson said...

One of my first thoughts about it was definitely that it sounds more like "Beautiful Letdown" than any of their other albums. And not just that--the similarity of their sound, I think, is greater than that of any other two Switchfoot albums. I guess summadat is from Nothing is Sound being recorded on the tour and all. And I do like the lyrical themes too.