Tuesday, September 06, 2005

ay yi ye

yea, don't ask.

songs that describe my life in the past 36 hours or so:

"If you're on your own in this life/the days and nights are long/When you think you've had too much of this life to hang on/Well, everybody hurts sometimes/Everybody cries."
-(deep thoughts from...) R.E.M.

"He is my Light and my Salvation/whom have i to fear/in His secret place i'll hide and pray/that i might hear a simple word/o how i would have despaired/if You had not come found me there/i can lean against Your throne and find my Peace/find my Peace." - Jennifer Knapp

weddings are too much stress. and they're never even my wedding.
communicating with people is also stressful. but essential. good communication that is. i have been lousy at communicating well for the past couple of days.

SO... my new best friends! i must give a shout out o' love to you for calling me on my road trip. Thanks to David Ferrell and Kevin O'Barr (even if you did call 24 hours late, and I missed your call, I still got the message! Thanks!) Double thanks and love to LAM who woke me up, because I was oversleeping on Thursday night!! I left KY by 11:41pm.

I also talked to a few other friends who said they wouldn't mind if I called them late at night or who didn't know I was driving all night, like Jake and Freya and Lauren and Joseph. So travels went well, I arrived in Destin about 9:30am Central time. No flooded bridges, no evacuees attempted to hijack my vehicle, no severe gas shortages or hour long waits, though they had signs posted. Ironically, the further south I went, the cheaper the gas was. $2.60 in FL as opposed to $3.29 elsewhere in KY! And everyone was so worried... well, I wasn't. Yes, I'm glad I proved them wrong. ;P

picture highlights will come shortly.

other musings:
sometime in the next 5 years i want to take another trip down to FL and drive on Route 331. Route 331 between Montgomery, AL and Florala (border town) is a pretty interesting drive. There are not a lot of places to stop or even pull off on the side of the road. Speed limit varies between 25 mph and 65 mph. But it is one of the most interesting drives for the things you'll see. I was always in a rush on this trip and didn't do any stopping... but I want to go back and spend all day on that drive (which normally would be about a 4-5 hour stretch) and photograph it. You'll see rusting school buses being subsumed in a sea of kudzu, boarded up building and gas stations that still have signs standing posting old gas prices, random mom n pop shops that sell antiques or what appears to be just junk, houses that look like they're always having a yard sale but you wouldn't want to stop incase you were wrong...., BBQ hole-in-the-wall places or restaurants that specialize in catfish and country vegetables, rest stops that look like barns, open air airplane hangers backing up to the road and the strip appears to be nothing but a field, boiled peanut stands, pecan and peach stands, marshes, actual white clapboard churches (some of which are actually in trailers), and curvy roads. did i mention i love the south?? so, hopefully, i will travel there again (maybe with a friend) and turn my words into pictures to give you a real glimpse of this part of the country.

and now I'm at work, desperately wishing i were sleeping instead at home, and feeling metaphysically nauseous.

btw: i'll be playing around with the appearance when i can.... don't mind me.... ;)

1 comment:

Jackson said...

I've no objection to the current color setup, as I said, but it occurs to me you might make the divisions between entries more prominent. Say, a divider bar, or larger headlines with more space between entries.