Saturday, August 07, 2004

Unlimited Internet! Politics!

So I now have at my disposal unlimited internet! Well... time-wise, but I still have to drive 20 minutes downtown. I am re-acquainting myself with the UK library after a leave of absence for four years. I spent many, many hours here doing research for my Senior AP English/Lit class in High School (thanks, Carla!)... that seems eons ago.
Not much news, except I'm doing research on politics. If anyone has recommendations for good resources so that I can bone up on my political knowledge, please let me know/pass them on. I have to fulfill my obligation to be an informed citizen and voter, thanks to the prodding of my friend Robert Paisley. I used to hate politics. (I'm still working through my dislike for the topic.) Politics has not always been my preferred topic of conversation, probably due to my lack of knowledge and therefore lack of strong, well-formed and developed opinions. So the times have called for a change! The past year I have decided to start reading the newspaper, my first step in becoming political savvy. I think I was inspired by my friend Neal Turnquist. He was a fixture on the St. John's campus my junior year, always sitting on the same bench on the quad near the steps to the coffeeshop, reading the paper every Sunday morning with a cup of a coffee and a cigarette. His presence on the quad could practically be counted on every week; I always knew where to find him if I needed him. After a road trip with him, I decided I needed to start reading the paper. I haven't been reading it consistently due to lack of funds, but thanks to a free subscription to Time magazine, I at least get some news from the articles.
I hope that through adequate research and good conversation from helpful, more informed friends, I can subdue and perhaps even exterminate my distaste for politics. I may always be frustrated by events and leaders and the negative side/sway of politics, but I hope to eventually find myself enjoying the topic for conversation. The result will be forthcoming...

3 comments:

Dwight said...

It isn't a mainstream news site, but ekklesia is a pretty good "theological news" site...

Drudgereport.com has links to tons of news sites... (some would say it is slanted, but that is just because it provides links to all kinds of news articles, not just to the mainstream press' news...)

Chishiki Lauren said...

hey dude. if you simply want some info on the candidates and their stances on certain issues, in keeping with being an informed citizen and voter, check out http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm it posts bios and political platforms of not only presidential candidates but also state and local reps as well.

in other news, i have a few pics of my town online, more to come in the near future, if you care to scope them out. http://swimminginafishbowl.blogspot.com/

anywho, i'll be keeping in touch. good luck finding employment!!!!! ciao.

Jackson said...

Kristi, you sellout! ;)
I don't much care for politics either. But some things that we don't much care for, we must endure with a cheerful spirit. C'est la vie. Look, French. I don't much care for French but sometimes I speak it anyway, actually really just that phrase.