Tuesday, August 31, 2004

strange names and strange jobs

so i'm at work. now this is something i can really say would not be fulfilling for a long time! I click 4 different buttons on the computer screen all day long. wow. as i go through this company's returned mail, the names can be amusing. Like Joe Schmoe. Poor guy. Of course, I thought maybe it was a joke when later someone listed as their address and city of residence as 'no junk, no junk mail, USA.' yesterday i had the excitement of working the switchboard- yikes. Let me just say... I don't think I want to ever do that again. little did I know it was the switchboard for 5 companies! One woman called back 5 times on my 1 hour shift because I kept connecting her to people who were not in. Another time I sent someone to the fax machine of another company. whoops. it was stressful. tomorrow is my last day at this temp job, and I can honestly say I still know nothing about the company whose office I am sitting in right now. I even tried researching it and the website was not very helpful. It's amazing what some businesses do, and survive and prosper doing.

on other notes, I am thinking about my generation... and our lack of vision, work ethic, direction, and motivation. Granted this is not everyone, but I feel personally a lack of direction, lack of powerful vision, and I at least have observed lack of work ethic and motivation in many people I'm around. Is it just us? Is it everyone? has our upbringing failed us? has our education failed us? our society? our government? or have we just failed ourselves? I mean, everything like this goes back to the fall, but it was pointed out to me by an older friend that this seems more unique to my generation... so where's the blame? what happened? and more importantly, how the heck do I and my peers find direction and vision? well... I have some thoughts/ideas.... but I welcome yours. to be continued i suppose...

thanks for survey answers! keep them coming if you have one to contribute. and stay tuned for future surveys....

1 comment:

Jackson said...

I have a vision. God wants me to write wonderful stories full of adventure and coolness and valuable stuff. The problem is that I waste a lot of time not putting in the effort toward the thing, and for instance playing video games instead.
God hands out visions. He has His own vision for everyone to love everyone.