Friday, May 26, 2006

what are you willing to give up?

How far will you go for truth?

I got this newsletter the other day from the Jews for Jesus organization. I am encouraged by their work and ministry. In this newsletter, there was an article detailing a conversation where an Orthodox Jewish man asked this Messianic Jew what Christianity would do for him? What would Christianity get him? But the Messianic Jew reflected later that this question arises out of the cost/benefit, consumer perspective in modern (or post-modern if you will) America. He said that the real question that the Orthodox Jewish man needed to ask himself was, what would I be willing to give up for the truth?

I agreed with this article, except that I think the consumer approach to life is not a mentality unique to America or only the present day. I think it's existed from day 1.

Christianity dares to ask you to give up a lot, your very life even... and I could talk about how it's like trading in listerine for pinot grigio, or smog for clean air, or britney spears for bach... but even those analogies would still be considering Christianity in terms of "what does it get for me?" - a better this or that. And while this is true, ultimately I think Christianity does give you "things" (and by things, I mean immaterial ones rather than material) that are better, that's not the point. Think about this: why do you make friends? Why do you want to get married? Why do you love anyone? Is it because... they make your life better? Is that it?... Should we in a similar manner love God just because He might make our lives "better" - a very subjective reason at that?... I would think again.

On another note, I have been accepted unofficially to study Russian at the Minsk Linguistics University next year. It will be official when I receive an invitation to study there in the mail from their dean/chancellor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately most theories of friendship, relationship, community, etc. are grounded on some form of mutual self-interest. Though I do think you right that those approaches are wrong-headed, and confuse the proper motivation that one ought to have for a possible side-benefit.

Sir Robert said...

I agree pretty much, except I don't the "Consumer/self-interest" aspect has been around since day 1. I think it was more like day 9 (or whenever the fall happened). =)