Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Outlook

When Freya was in town last Thursday, I took her to my favorite coffee spot. While standing around smelling the aromas of whole bean coffee and coveting the chocolate covered espresso beans in a dispenser nearby, I picked up a pamphlet on the counter. The cover read "Why do you believe in god?" I think I've got a pretty good answer to the question, but, I read on. Scanning over this piece of "literature" I saw quotes by Nietzsche and Epicurus. (Oh yes, philosophers like Nietzsche really make my knees a-tremble...) As I read, I was actually quite disappointed. It sounded like an angry atheist ranting because as an atheist they felt like society or "Christianity" had done them some wrong in life. It was actually sad and depressing. The logic and reasoning was completely emotionally charged. I couldn't detect much rationality at all. Just a lot of anger. Lots. Now, I have read/heard reasoned rational defenses against Christianity, as well as reasoned rational defenses for agnosticism or atheism, so I know it's possible. It just astounded me that this was the best piece of "literature" that an organization touting "free thinking" could produce. Furthermore, it irks me that the assumption was made that all Christians or even theists or deists simply believe in God out of peer pressure, coercion, or propaganda; and/or that Christians suspend their logic and reason when approaching Christianity.

I would say that Christianity is logical. And yet wholly mysterious and paradoxical too. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying both. It's logical to me because it is how I come to understand the world and myself. It is mysterious because as a mere mortal, I don't have all the answers. I still think asking questions is valid. Heck, Job, David, and lot of others asked questions! Furthermore, I can't reduce something like the saving blood of Jesus Christ into mere mechanics, mere physical reality. It almost seems inherently mysterious, intentionally incomprehensible, and as such, my awe and wonder and love for God grows... strange as that sounds. (more later...)

The past week's events in the lives of friends (and, incidentally, family too...):
-New baby, Jacob Alton, to parents Johanna and Sir Robert, born this past Sunday!
-Freya completed her marathon! 10th in her age division! Wuhoo!
-Sarah and Joe got married! Super great. Wish I had been there.

The week's outlook (for me):
-Jogging! I've decided to run in the Bluegrass 10,000. My dog, Alyosha, is proving to be a great running partner.
-Reading! Currently I am halfway now into Master and Margarita by Bulgakov, and am officially re-reading The Brothers Karamazov.
-Praying! I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed. I'll be needing time sitting at the feet of my wisest friend.

No comments: