Wednesday, May 03, 2006

no coffee needed.

No coffee has been needed today, but perhaps it would have been preferred. When you work a standard M-F job, 8-5, it's easy to lose sleep... especially if you are prone, as I am, to stay up until midnight, 1, or 2am as the occasion may be because of a self-imposed deadline... so really I can only blame myself for my lack of sleep. I've had a stressful few days.

At my job today I was thinking again about how unsuited I am for what I am doing. Not only is my job in an environment that is stifling rather than stimulating or relaxing, but the actual job requires a very good memory for details, and for keeping track of these details months down the line, and also for having enough foresight and grasp of the business to be able to ask the important questions... well, maybe this doesn't make sense. But I need more structure. Here I am, trying to analyze my job and I am trying to do so by fitting the job into a concise explanation, and well, I'm never concise, and the job can never be explained. This is obvious because after nearly a year (just 3 weeks shy in fact) of working here, I still am utterly confused at times as to how this company functions. At previous jobs, I could handle the details, the workload, the stress, the time-crunch. During my time as a stage manager for theatrical productions, I even thrived under pressure and with managing a huge list of details. But I knew why I was doing what I was doing, and I could strategize about the best way to reach the goal. I cannot do that here. Either that, or my mind has just shut down in the past 2 years.

What, then, would help jobs to be more satisfying, fulfilling, or even just... diverting?

I still maintain that, at least personally, I feel greater satisfaction from my work when I am using my hands... and typing on a keyboard just doesn't count. Using my hands to create, construct, mold, shape, or beatify in some way. For example, carpentry or gardening. I imagine I would much rather enjoy myself employed in those activities than the ones I am doing now. After reading a section from the book of Acts, there was a discussion on whether or not cities - modern day or at the time of Christ/the apostles - had an actual effect on the spiritual life of its inhabitants? Specifically, do cities lead man to have more idols than someone who lives in the country? A couple points were raised, first, that ultimately the cause of idolatry is the heart, and whether or not man lives in a city or the country does not change his fallen state that might lead him to idolatry. The counterpoint was that cities provide the circumstances for idolatry in that they isolate man from the land and provide objects or possessions or more wealth that distracts a man from spiritual matters. There's the recap of the discussion.

I learned recently that the word for "Christian" in the Russian language used to be identical to the word for "farmer." The explanation given to me by the native Russian speaker was that all the farmers and peasants who lived in the country were Christians. The largest contingent of Christians were farmers. Later, I am not sure when, they decided to create a separate word for Christian from the word for farmer. Hence, the word for farmer is christianka and the word for Christian is hristianka. (These are my terrible transliterations into the Roman alphabet... and they both have feminine endings because I can only remember the endings that I would use in describing myself.) So... what can we learn from this linguistic trivia? Does this speak of a deeper truth about the relationship between work and religion, landscape/environment and spirituality?

In Genesis, man is called to work - to actually rule and subdue - the land. Yet we also know that work becomes toil. It becomes a burden. Why? Is it because work is difficult? It requires physical exertion? The exertion of one's mind? It brings pain - blisters and heat and scrapes and long hours and fatigue and sunburns... etc? Yet I still feel that the blisters and heat and long hours in a garden is more enjoyable than the simple office with the comfy swivel chairs and the technologically advanced computers and machinery and the air conditioning and artificial lighting that cater to one's ease and comfort... I would actually prefer the physical pain to the mental stultification, the toil to the "ease" of technology.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, there's something special about using our hands, working outside, and the like... something we often neglect these days in the "city" - though I can't say I'd make much of a farmer! :P I do think my newfound love for cooking is along the same lines - there's something just thrilling about creating something from a bunch of raw ingredients... taking individual creations and making something entirely new and beautiful. When it comes to working with my hands, I might not be a gardener, but I do love to use my hands to cook and bake.

I also think using our minds, not just our hands/bodies, in new and creative ways is also enjoyable and so much more fulfilling than repetitive, droning tasks... we really were created to be creative. I think that's the key - how can we use our abilities and talents to the glory of God and mirror His creativity?

(shhh... just don't tell your new Mac laptop what you really think.)

Jackson said...

"I would actually prefer the physical pain to the mental stultification, the toil to the "ease" of technology."

I feel the same way about running. It's important for us human beings to pilot our bodies, and when we don't take time to pilot our bodies, our bodies pilot us.

Anonymous said...

i used to work at a job where i was on my feet for 12 hour shifts. it was physically and spirtiually exhausting. now i work at a desk with a computer and it is spiritually exhausting too BUT i will take it over the other any day. what i have discovered is you have to fight like a tiger to keep your spirit alive and kicking. if you don't guard yourself against the world it will creep in and suck your soul out and leave you empty. look around at the people tha thave been working for years. where did they come from? they don't seem to represent the youth do they? what happened? what destroyed them and made them the way they are?
don't expect others to inspire you. you have to look for ways for you to shine and to be the light for others. we (at least i) forget to do that. i start looking around and get down and think 'these people have no spirit'. But i have to take the lead as it were when i feel like that and see how i can be better. i fail a lot. i have to try to be better.

Matt Talamini said...

Let me expound a little bit of nerd philosophy. There exist two 'planes': The physical, and the digital. The digital plane existed before the Internet via the literary world - The network of letters and books. It is the world of information. It is the world not as it is, but as people say that it is. The digital plane comes into being along with cities because it is not possible without what we call 'publication'.

My point? There are those who create things with their hands phsyically, and there are those who merely labor physically (pushing a cart, pulling a plow, driving a truck, etc.) Analogously, there are those who create things in the digital plane (philosophers, programmers, graphic designers, authors), and there are those who merely labor digitally.

The correct distinction, I think, is between mere labor and creative work, not between physical activity and sitting at a desk.

When I write a good useful chunk of code, I feel the same feeling as if I had just built a wall or planted a row of flowers, only much better.

Matt Talamini said...

And I was sitting nearly motionless at a desk the whole time.

Anonymous said...

labor is labor. if you are driving a truck delivering items so a house can be built or whatever then that is no different than if you are driving a truck to deliver items so you can build your house. we don't like to feel like we aren't contributing. so being told to drive the truck is different than wanting to drive the truck. just like programming. writing code is no different. all of it is physical when you get down to it even 'thought'.
it almost seems selfish. i would toil for days over a project i feel like i am contributing in some manner that appeals to me, but, if i don't then i am just toiiling and not liking it.
if you can't tell i don't believe in a mind/body distinction...