Tuesday, May 30, 2006

midnight waffle house runs

3 day weekends are sublime.

I spent gobs of time outdoors. Gardening, grilling out, reading, jogging, pulling pranks. I also made a midnight run to the waffle house. A trip down memory lane, in a way... except I wasn't accompanied by friends from high school, but friends from church. I was up until 2am or later, and it was fantastic. Then last night, I went on a run at 11pm. I don't know what I was thinking; it was late and stinking hot. The humid air just clinging to your skin and crawling into your lungs. But I ran on, with Leo keeping pace beside me, into the night and deeper into the humidity.

I finished reading Master and Margarita by Bulgakov. It won't make my top ten by a long shot, but I still was glad to read it. I think the title is deceiving; it would more aptly be titled Woland or Satan. You were practically a third into the novel before learning who the Master and who Margarita were... the novel seemed absolutely devoid of any protagonist. This may have been an intentual stylistic thing on the author's part, or maybe I'm just dense. Few if any of the characters were well developed, and even fewer were well liked. Again, perhaps this was the point. What was clear was that evil powers wreak havoc. Just call the novel Havoc. There, a much better title; one that fits the Soviet regime as well, eh?

No comments: