Thursday, November 11, 2004

a mischevious sprite

I was walking outside this morning, and noticed this tree set off, far to the back of the wooded area, looking quite unassuming. But as I approached I was immediately struck by the beauty and marbled colors of the tree's leaves. My instant reaction was to pluck a single leaf from the tree to admire and enjoy.... and yet, as I looked, every leaf was battered, torn. No leaf was untouched by the wind and rain and cold. and yet the leaves together were so striking, I thought as though the tree were a mischevious sprite, laughing at my admiration and questioning thoughts, glorying in its beauty often unnoticed and achieved by imperfection. It is kind of spooky how many things that seem so ordinary can end up becoming a turning point or a point of reflection later on. A tree perhaps unnoticed every other day suddenly, for no reason, catches my eye and causes me to stop and look and question and wonder.

thursdays are nice days I've decided.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the Dave said:

Thursdays are indeed nice days.

Jackson said...

Dear Kristi,

I like the sprite in you!

Obey your thirst,
Jackson