Wednesday, April 18, 2007

call for a poem

So I suggested that my Russian class read classic russian poems in class sometime. I guess I was nostalgic about senior language at St. John's... my Russian teacher like this idea, and then counter-proposed that I find a good English poem to translate into Russian and share with the class... oy! Not as easy.

So here is an open call for suggestions... I need a poem, preferably well known or written by someone well known, which was written originally in English, and is not too long or complicated... IOW, T.S. Eliot would probably be out.

Any suggestions? Oh yea, and I need to find the poem on the internet.... help!!

8 comments:

a consumate Hokie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
a consumate Hokie said...

Located at:
http://www.amherst.edu/~rjyanco94/literature/elizabethbarrettbrowning/poems/sonnetsfromtheportuguese/howdoilovetheeletmecounttheways.html

a consumate Hokie said...

Trying again....
How about "How do I Love Thee, Let Me Count the Ways" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning? You can find the poem at the above link.

Love,
Dad

Dwight said...

Robert Frost: The Road Not Taken

here

Jackson said...

"not too long?" son of a gun...I guess that rules out "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock!"
well, ya can't go wrong with Shakespeare. pick a sonnet, any sonnet. might be a little difficult to translate, but at least they're pretty short.

Anonymous said...

Blake has some good short poems (i am partial to 'the tyger')

Anonymous said...

ha. famous and short (but the quality??):
William Carlos Williams

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

Matt Talamini said...

Maybe some Poe would be appropriate. Maybe 'Eldorado'? It's pretty short. http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/poe/poe_ind.html