Wednesday, February 14, 2007

thanks


I can’t remember the last time I lived somewhere where it was snowing for multiple consecutive days. It snowed here for 5 days in a row, then the snow took a weekend off, and again this morning, it was snowing. The ground goes from white to brown to slush to ice and back to white… I am sure there has been over 6 inches of snowfall in the past week. It’s really quite lovely… I really love snow. If it’s going to be cold, I want there to be snow.


I had the chance to enjoy a Valentine’s “date” at McDonald’s for lunch today, but I turned it down. Well, I would have had to pay for myself anyway, and I didn’t have time, and it’s McDonald’s. So, no. No excitement on Valentine’s day.

I had a Reese’s peanut butter cup today. Oh-so-delectable!! The small joys from America are worth noting.

Belarussians don’t get baked potatoes. They don’t eat them like that. They don’t cook them like that. It’s a new concept for them. They do however like drinks made from birch sap…

I had the opportunity to thank someone this past week for doing something that changed my life forever. I’ve thought about, off and on for several years now, this girl I knew when I was in seventh grade. She was the first person to share with me about who Jesus is. Not that I believed her, or the truth she spoke of, then. I moved and we lost touch. But later, it was her sharing that propelled me to investigate truth for myself. It was her sharing that propelled me into a life that follows after Him who is Truth. So it’s been on my mind and heart to track her down and give thanks. But I had no idea how this would ever happen…. yet thanks to one of those annoying social networking websites that I like to gripe about… I stumbled upon her. So now I can’t gripe about them too much, but thank them. I was able to express in writing what a difference her words and life made in my life, over 11 years ago. What was even more awesome was when she thanked me for expressing my thanksgiving, because it came at a time when she needed encouragement like that. Being thankful people is an awesome command of our Dad. It glorifies Him, yes, and it’s also a privilege to give thanks to people too. So, thanks Dad, for letting me participate in thanksgiving, and for reconnecting with a girl whose life intersected with mine for less than a year – a brief time, but a revolutionary time.

No comments: