Saturday, February 24, 2007

spartacus

For the first time in my life, I went to see a ballet. (At least, the first time which I can really remember or have the ability to make a judgment of personal taste… I have a vague notion that I might have “seen” the Nutcracker in NYC, but if so, I was probably only 7 years old and I probably fell asleep…) There are a few certain cultural events that you must take part in or experience wherever you are, and I have realized that over here, these cultural musts can be narrowed down to: the circus, the opera, traditional dance, ballet. After tonight, all that remains is the opera.

The show was Spartacus. I am sure Plutarch had something to say about this guy, but I wouldn’t really know, I never got into Plutarch very much beyond required reading, and of what was required, I haven’t retained much (sadly). I wasn’t sure what I would think of ballet. I mean, I like to dance, but watching dance was another thing… and not just any dance, but ballet dance… I attended dance recitals of a friend in high school, and well, found those trying to sit through. So, tonight I wasn’t expecting too much; I was just looking to enjoy myself at something new for the evening. As it turned out, I became a sold fan. Granted, I could have really done just fine with 2 acts. The 3rd act was pushing it a bit for me onto the long side. Having that said, I was quite impressed. Musically, physically, aesthetically overall. I’ve heard that Romeo and Juliet tends to be one of the favorites around here, so I hope my next ballet will be to that one.

Also, as an aside, there is a verdant cultural texture and richness in the arts here in Minsk. I don’t think this is unusual for this part of the world. Ballet and opera and theater and concerts are attended regularly by everyone in the populace, so it seems. It isn’t just for the “artsy folks.” Everyone here enjoys this cultural, shall we say, tradition? Furthermore, there is a tremendous heritage of writers and poets. Many a street is named after poets and writers throughout this city. If you want your name to be on a street sign in Minsk, you better be a writer or a revolutionary. Up until recently, the main street running through the city center was named after a man who made a significant literary and religious contribution to this country, the man who translated the Bible into Belarussian language. Sadly, the name has been changed. But the secular poets and writers have retained their places in society, with street names and monuments, statues and busts.

No comments: