Thursday, June 29, 2006

working 2 jobs.

I am learning what it’s like to work two jobs. In a nutshell, it’s madness.

In the midst of the insanity, I find that I have to spend time in completely non-work-related outlets. However, the irony is of course that these things require additional time to an already bursting stressful schedule. Last night, I regained some sanity by having a coffee break with Lauren to discuss the end of Appointment in Samarra and running for 5 miles. This took up about 3 hours of my evening, so naturally, it was past midnight before I went to sleep. But of course it was worth it. Coffee breaks with Lauren are the highlight of my weeknights. Running is a recent addition to my life. I must say, I am quite proud of myself for completing a 5 mile run. Previous to this, the most I ran at a time was 2 miles, and I was huffing it just to do it. But last night I just pushed on through, in what I hope was a great gear up for the Bluegrass 10K race that I will participate in at 8am on the 4th of July. :)

I am grateful that I am leaving on vacation in about half an hour. I will be trekking up to Michigan to see many treasured friends and join in the celebration of the wedding of MJ and LT. I will really enjoy my time there, but I also know that this uber-important second job will be weighing on me… and the reality sets in: I will have to work on my vacation. *Sigh.*

I am learning some other things too. I am learning that a big component of exercise is psychological – mastery of mind over body. I am learning that not all light beers are completely terrible. I am learning that poison ivy on days 3 and 4 is a lot worse than on days 1 and 2. I am learning that schedules are nice guidelines, but I can’t hold myself to it and more often than not, it gets tossed out the window. I am learning that I am a screw up and weak… that I am no good, but that God is good, and I am learning that that will be enough. I’m also learning not to trust Blogger with my blog posts, and will revert to typing them in Word beforehand… I am also learning that Firefox and Camino are way superior to IE.

No comments: