Wednesday, December 29, 2004

back to the old year

reflections on Christmas:
I must say this Christmas for me ranks in the top ones in my memory. Maybe because the food was so good and plentiful. Maybe because of giving and receiving gifts. But not really. I think it really had more to do with the fact with the people I spent the holiday with, and the people that cared about the meaning of Christmas. We read some excerpts from the OT and NT which were good and put the focus in the right place. And we all - it seemed, for perhaps one of the first times- all cared to put the focus on the right place. On top of that, I got to visit with two of my cousins on my Mom's side - Kevin and Kenneth, who are tres fun people to be around, and I am only sad that we see so little of each other, but hopefully email will keep us better in touch (I also promised Kevin to make mention of him on my blog, props to him for actually reading my blog ;)
... AND I got to see my dad's brother Rod, and my cousins Jon and Sara, who in all honesty, I may not have seen in close to a decade. Pretty crazy. They are very cool, huge VT fans, so we'll have to see who triumphs in the sugar bowl - Tech or Auburn. This is a close one for me. Mom is for Auburn, Dad is for Tech... so I'm in the middle. Since I'm actually from the state of Alabama, and I've never lived in the state of Virginia, I lean towards Auburn on this one... I just try not to mention that to my Dad too much or he might disown me ( j/k ;)

so you could say I'm back in the swing of things. Except I'm not really. This week is pretty abnormal (3 days of work), not to mention, this is the end of the year, and supposedly in about 4 days everything begins "anew." New Years are not particularly significant to me. It is fun to have a party and hang out with people, to have an excuse to celebrate [trip down memory lane: one of the best New Year's was when I was in high school, we had a "progressive new year's party" where we hopped between 3 houses during the celebration that night... in the end, we crashed on my basement floor under the pool table, ha], but nothing really changes for me. I used to make resolutions. Except I don't always stick to them. (But if I decide to make any, I'll let you know ;) Sometimes I look forward to the "new year" because of some pending event that I approach with great anticipation. Perhaps it used to be a vacation with family, high school graduation, going to college, going back to college, going to Europe, college graduation, going to Alaska... but as I look at 2005, there is only one thing to look forward to (in the sense of actual events) - and that would be: weddings. I have 3 weddings already scheduled to attend (one each in April, May, June) (and in 3 different states nonetheless: Kentucky, Florida, New York). So I can look forward to those. But as for my personal life, well, just me and Alyosha and an apartment and anticipation only of what God may have in store, because I have nothing myself in store. (if that makes sense)

other notes: just finished reading Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton. He actually talks a lot about Christianity as an adventure. I will have to put some quotes up to reflect on, so stay tuned.

another survey!
I previously asked about favorite poets/poems
How about: favorite artists/pieces of art/genre of art/museums of art
and as for the converse: least favorite genre (which usually boils down, for me, to the genre I lease understand.... which would be modern art. I like some of it, but other times... I just want to laugh because it is absurd. and maybe that is the point....)
and for favorites? well... one of my favorite museums is the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, it is huge and amazing. I also loved the Musee d' Orsay in Paris. Of course, when it comes to art, I love Ansel Adams' photography. In Washington, D.C. I loved the Cole paintings about the River of Life at the National Gallery. I also loved at the Vatican the School of Athens painting (haha, classic, eh?) by Raphael along with the other 3 paintings in that room (names eluding me right now, I'll look it up) I remember journaling about specific pieces of artwork when I was in Europe, so I'll have to revisit my journals and update this post. But on with the survey! ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the Dave rooted for VT:

so yeah...art...
don't get me started on modern art. The biggest problem with modern artists is that their technical skills are highly lacking. They do not know how to render accurately and realistically, and they end up moving on to abstraction before they've mastered realism. Thus, when constructing their pieces they really don't have a full grasp of what they are trying to do. I mean, how can you draw a thing as it is not and say you know what you are drawing when you don't even know how to draw it as it is?
This is one reason I really like the abstract and non-objective painters of the early 1900s. If you look at some of their earlier work, many of them were quite accomplished draftsmen. I tried non-objective painting my senior year, it was pretty cool. I really liked a lot of the work by Kandinsky and Modrian. Those two and Jackson Pollack. I also like a lot of the Rennaisance painters (they knew what they were looking at and how to render it accurately. I doubt there has been an era of artists that mastered those principles as proficiently as group.). I would really like to see The School of Athens in person some day.
Okay. 'nuf ranting. I go.

Jackson said...

Glad to hear that this Christmas season's had the focus in the right place for you and your crew. Glad to hear.
New Year's Eve has usually been pretty meaningful for me, though generally not one of the most meaningful events of the year. I do tend to make resolutions, although not always, and some years these have been about as significant as "Drink no soda this year." (I don't always stick to my resolutions either...that's why I tend to make easy ones like the no-soda.) Whenever I'd end up staying home on New Year's Eve, it'd just be me and God, and I'd talk to Him about the past year, and He'd help me figure out, in light of the past year, what to do about the upcoming one. And like you, I can't say I've ever really looked forward to the new year with great anticipation for a handful of big events. It's usually been developing existing friendships that I've looked forward to: Nathan Drackett, Mindy "Calculus" Hsu, Diana Huntress. Life's continuous. There's always something new coming around; you don't need a special day for it.
I said all this concerning New Year's because I know very little about art. I just like the pretty pictures...

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (II Cor. 5:17)
"He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear, And will trust in the LORD." (Psalm 40:3)
"This New Year's Eve will turn out better than before." (Five Iron Frenzy)
"Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see." (Thomas O. Chisholm, "Great is Thy Faithfulness")

Dwight said...

Fav artists/works of art:
Brahms/Ein Deutches Requiem
Bach/1st Cello Suite
Coltrane/A Love Supreme
Davis/Kind of Blue
M.C. Escher

Karen said...

Ok, works of art (off the top of my head):Hope, by George Frederick Watts
Peter and John..., by Eugene Burnand
The Kiss, Auguste Rodin
The Philosopher in Meditation, Rembrandt
Flaming June, by Lord Frederick Leighton
the DaVinci cartoon (Mary, John the Baptist and Jesus in charcoal)
Other artists:Michelangelo (artist & sculptor)
Bernini (sculptor)
Ansel Adams (photographer)
Brassai, Atget, Cartier-Bresson (photographers of Paris)
Art Museums:The Tate Gallery, London
Musee D'Orsay, Paris
The Met, NYC
The Rodin Museum, Paris