Wednesday, December 07, 2005

public service announcement

for everyone who has been asking me the same questions for the past 20 months:

what do i want to do with my life? i don't know
what job would i like to have? i don't know
what do you think your calling is? i don't know
do i want to go back to school? maybe
where would i want to go to school? i don't know
what program of study would i pursue? i don't know
when would i want to go back to school? i don't know
would you want to teach? i don't know
would you want to do missions? i don't know
would you want to live abroad? i don't know
would you want to do ______? i just might lose it.
have you thought about ______ ? i've thought about everything. ::cough, cough::
what do you know? not much.

and then the unspoken questions:
what's wrong with what you're doing now? everything.
aren't you just being ungrateful? probably.
what's wrong with you? good question.
why are you acting so pitiful? see answers to all previous questions above.

conclusion: go in peace my inquisitors, and leave me in peace. pray on my behalf if you want. advise if you have something that potentially could be helpful that doesn't involve asking me any of the above referenced questions or derivatives of above referenced questions. meanwhile, i will be praying, mulling, thinking, sleeping, and trying not to have a breakdown, mental or emotional.

end of the public service announcement.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sympathize with you very much, being in sort of the same situation myself. Ever feel like if the mob killed your family and you embarked on a hideous twisted quest for revenge it would at least give your life some direction?
I totally sympathize.

Anonymous said...

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do too. And I job hopped until I figured it out. There's nothing wrong with you.

Jackson said...

...and probably, there are fewer people than you think who think there's something wrong with you.
I'm learning that about myself as well.
my two cents.

Kristi said...

jackson: well yes, i don't really think i'm that weird. i'm probably in with 50% of the population in how they feel coming out of college: directionless. i don't *REALLY* think anything is PARTICULARLY wrong with me. i was sort of being sarcastic in this post incase it wasn't easy to tell...

i don't relay sarcasm well.

Kristi said...

matt: LOL... good thought, brutha'. I've felt that, yes, but perhaps never formulated it as you do...

Jackson said...

nono! I did not mean to suggest that you thought there was something wrong with you. I meant to state clearly that you thought that other people thought there was something wrong with you. But it seems I didn't state it clearly. I caught your sarcasm quite well; apparently the deficiency of communication is on my end!