Monday, December 19, 2005

me and my drum.

Jars of Clay has a great rendition of the Christmas carol, Little Drummer Boy. I've heard it a few times, and really like the lyrics to this, albeit simple, song.


Come, they told me (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
A newborn king to see (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
Our finest gifts we bring (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
To lay before the king (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
So, to honor Him (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
When we come

Little baby (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I am a poor boy too (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I have no gifts to bring (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
That's fit to give a king (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
Shall I play for you (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
On my drum?

Mary nodded (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
The ox and lamb kept time (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I played my drum for Him (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I played my best for Him (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
Then, He smiled at me (pa-rum-pa-pum-pum)
Me and my drum


nice. Sometimes what is simple becomes what is most profound.

I remember a friend remarked to me that if you weren't going to do your best on something - be it an essay for class, a musical performance, a piece of artwork, etc. - then it would be better to not have done it at all. I think I've mentioned this before on my blog. This struck me and has stuck with me strongly ever since.

No, I don't really have anything to give that is fit for a king... but I can, at least, offer up my life, the best of my abilities, the best of my talents, the entirety of my mind, heart, soul, and stength. Giving the best I have, even if it is as nothing next to the perfection in Christ alone, is an act of love.

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. " - Deut. 6:4-7

No comments: