Thursday, March 06, 2008

joy, not grit.

"Joy, not grit, is the hallmark of holy obedience. We need to be lighthearted in what we do to avoid taking ourselves too seriously. It is a cheerful revolt against self and pride. Our work is jubilant, carefree, merry. Utter abandonment to God is done freely and with celebration. And so I urge you to enjoy the ministry of self-surrender. Don’t push too hard. Hold this work lightly, joyfully…. You know, of course, that [we] are not speaking of a silly, superficial, bubbly kind of joy like that flaunted in modern society. No, this is a deep, resonant joy that has been shaped and tempered by the fires of suffering and sorrow – joy through the cross, joy because of the cross."

p.128-129 in Freedom of Simplicity

How often I experience a lack of joy in my own life, and witness many joy-less Christians… we become overwhelmed with our troubles, let pessimism take over in our hearts, and find ourselves ruing our failings with ever-increasing despair. It is this last point that Foster seems to address, and I think his words are beneficial – we need to avoid at times taking ourselves too seriously, not to push so hard… We’re never going to get it all just right. It’s not that we need to always plaster on a happy face or stop wanting to grow… no, but we need to come again to that cross, and see the victory already won… and leave a changed person, one with joy, with hope, that despite our perpetual failings and short-comings, we’re accepted, the world is overcome,… The cross gives us joy because joy is found in His presence. This is simplicity of heart… merriment in following after the One who made all joys, conquered all troubles, and redeems all man’s short-comings.

4 comments:

Jay Wilder said...

That's a disappointing quotation for me...because I like grit. There's something appealing to me about being dug in and under-the-gun, under pressure yet still pressing forward. Suffering and grit teeth are kind of heroic, but I tend to forget that I'm not the hero here. Joy doesn't come easy to me--I think I'm kind of mistrustful of it?

Karen said...

I think often Christians equate joy with happiness. During a particularly rough period in my life, I learned the distinction. It's hard to put into words but I think the "deep, resonant joy" that Foster speaks of is what I've experienced. It's that stability we feel of clinging to the Rock (the inner peace, but beyond that, a thankful joy) when our external circumstances take our emotions into a tailspin.

tdurbs said...

I think Karen nailed the distinction -- too often we look at something incorrectly because we do not know the true definition, even the true experience of that which we seek.

I think to C.S. Lewis when I see this duality in Joy -- "There is a kind of happiness and wonder that makes you serious. It is too good to waste on jokes."

The world thinks that joy = sunshine and rainbows, smiles and carefree living.

Quite the opposite. To bring Jay's perspective in -- Joy is the willingness to face the times of Grit...living in the Grace of Today while looking forward to the Treasure of Tomorrow.

Joy is the divine obedience to face the Cross in hope of experiencing resurrection.

Unknown said...

We take ourselves way to seriously and don't take the cross seriously enough. And that's where my joy starts to fade--when I'm completely inward focussed and not fixing my eyes on the things above. Good thoughts, thanks!