Tuesday, November 07, 2006

new record

There was a new record set in Minsk yesterday. On November 6th, it was the coldest it had been in 92 years on that day, with a low temperature of negative 14 degrees Celsius (or roughly 7 degrees Fahrenheit). I had the delight of walking in such record breaking weather. :) Icy snow blew furiously around me, and it was quite difficult to walk or see where I was going. I think winter was just saying "hello" to me. It wanted to welcome me to its homeland in the far north of eastern europe. I can now thank winter for such a… polite… gesture of… friendliness. . . . .

Now it is above zero and the streets are a wet slushy mess.

The pigeons take refuge underground, camping out in the corridors leading to the metro. Their eyes and beaks disappear underneath their feathers, while they stand motionless, napping.

It gets dark now around 4pm. By 5pm, you could see stars, that is, if it weren't always overcast. It is a strange adjustment. The early darkness makes me feel tired.

Today is a national holiday. November 7th in the year 1917, the revolution began. What revolution?, you might wonder. My friends would tell you that the holiday commemorates the revolution that brought Lenin to power. Interesting, eh??… .. . . . . . I'm a stranger in a strange land.

2 comments:

Matt Talamini said...

You may be interested in this:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/11/06/061106193551.sp4mpb0o.html

Congratulations Lenin! Belarus is now considered one of the top 13 worldwide enemies of the Internet.

laura said...

They are saying it will be in the low 80s here in Lauderdale Co., MS later this week... still, the 4:30 sunsets are a bit depressing...