Wednesday, April 05, 2006

When at 7,000 feet...

... don't assume that you can walk up stairs or jog for one block without getting out of breath... that is, unless you have been living at 7,000 feet or higher for a while and/or like to take long 10 mile jogs on a regular basis like my friend Freya.

Travels to Santa Fe... well... it was my third visit to this town, and my most lengthy stay yet. I love how stores welcome leashed dogs on their premises, but humans toting beverages are not allowed... or that dogs can come join you for your breakfast or dinner at a local restaurant. The sky is indeed huge. Huge and blue and beautiful. The mountains are a refreshing and captivating sight. The hikes are strenuous, often as a result of making your own trail through the shrubbery, reddish dirt and rocks, that test your drive and lung strength at some 8,000 feet. I read Act I of Waiting for Godot aloud with Lauren in the Houston airport. I was admonished by two 30-something women from Texas - complete strangers - to never get married, after incidentally ending up sharing a meal with them in an airport. Rousseau was more interesting than I had remembered, as I listened to juniors discuss it around the familiar seminar table. Apple blossoms are breathtaking against the backdrop of an adobe building, or a blue, blue sky. I swelled with nostalgia when discussing great books impromptu in a dorm stairwell. Or perhaps when I noticed the greek paradigms in the bathroom stalls for freshmen. I laughed really hard when watching The Graduate with a roomful of people equally amused. Getting hailed upon while soaking in a hot spa was a new experience. (The cucumber water was indeed a nice refresher after our visit to the Ten Thousand Waves.) I managed to parallel park - twice - without causing visible damage to anyone's vehicle... I even got to drive Freya's loveable tri-color Minnesota plated car around town, and enjoy the bumps and dust clouds while sweeping around unpaved mountain roads. I spent quality time with my Holga. I discovered that Whole Foods has really good iced coffee, and lament its absence from my city. I also lament the absence of Trader Joe's. I learned that if you lose your child's blankie, you need to stop apologizing otherwise your kid will never forget this terrible fact, and may never actually forgive you. Neither will the other airline passengers who get to listen to your child's screams for 2 hours. There was shared spontaneous prayer both early and late in the day. Tap water in Santa Fe is actually good. I discussed justice with Jake, faith (the faith, our faith) with Freya, and existentialism with Lauren. I read Act II of Waiting for Godot aloud in an empty common room with Lauren. I was Vladimir, she was Estragon; I was Pozzo, she was Lucky; and I got to call her both Gogo and moron, which amused both of us greatly. I also revisited The Social Contract by Rousseau, read short stories from Dubliners by James Joyce, a treatise on Hope by Josef Pieper, and almost completed a treatise on Love by the same. I was fortunate to have 10 minutes talking to Jared who called from Oregon and got stuck talking to me. I became obsessed with photographing orange couches,












shy friends,












beautiful hands,










shadows and words on the pages of books,











sunlit hair,










and adobe facades.












I forgot about daylight savings... but so did Freya. I ate green chile, middle eastern food while belly dancers invaded my personal space, blue corn tortillas while sitting in a sun room of the Shed with low ceilings and white orchids, a waffle engulfed in whipped cream, and one of the most amazing delicious dinners that I have ever had (and probably the only completely vegan dinner I've ever had...) which is to say, Freya can work wonders with sprouted grain pasta and avocados. I also drank more caffeinated beverages in 4 days than I do in a standard month. I verbally confessed my fixation with plaid pants. Although I conceded to Jake that the ubiquitous Johnnie chairs can eventually become uncomfortable, this is nothing compared to the hip bruises of sleeping on a carpetless dorm floor for 4 nights straight. After everything, whether fun or physically painful (as my sunburnt scalp reminds me), my money and time was well spent. Why? Because fellowship with favorite people, soul friends, and family in Christ - sometimes all one and the same - is very sweet.

And I didn't even miss the NCAA championship. Didn't even give it a thought. I think I am better off for that. Sometimes the Johnnie bubble is a good thing.

9 comments:

Brian said...

I recognized the chipped nail polish on a girl I've never met. How sad is that ... So did you enjoy Waiting for Godot (apart from the aforementioned amusement of reading it aloud)? One of my favorite plays.

Kristi said...

Hey Brian, it's perhaps sad you recognized the chipped nail polish, but really it's just sad you haven't met the girl of the chipped nail polish yet. Waiting for Godot was quite good. I insisted on reading it aloud, afraid I'd get bored otherwise (I was forewarned)... and quite enjoyed it. It was provocative, and clever indeed. At times funny, but the humor masked the sadness I think in the real situation.

I disagree with you David, only because it was R&G that drove me crazy (personally) and not the other way around. But the message - or maybe outlook? - of Waiting for Godot? Entirely horrid... and if you ask me, all wrong. I'll give you that much.

Brian said...

Well, Kristi, I've offered ad nauseum to pay her way out here to visit, but the aforementioned girl won't cooperate ... But yeah, I think, David, that you're really talking about two kinds of humor there. WfG has its moments of humor, but it's more the "pulls your pants down in the schoolyard and laughs at your privates" sort of modernist humor that leaves you full of angst about the fruitlessness of human endeavours. Painful reading, yes, but it just so happens that I like that sort of thing ...

Jackson said...

I pretty much agree with David on this. literary taste is genetic.
glad to hear that Jake is still rocking it out on uncomfortable Johnnie chairs for great justice. did you say hi to him for me? did I even remember to ask you to say hi to him for me? I can't remember!

Chishiki Lauren said...

I covet the orange couch. If only it had duct tape embellishments.






Like how I completely ignored the fact that I was discussed? Oh I'm good.

Matt Talamini said...

I love the Johnny Bubble. I miss it.

Kristi said...

Brian: a new strategy is called for. i say come to ky. besides, i have to meet you too...

Lauren: Oh yes, you are very good... and I'm so glad you love duct tape... you must be my soul mate. ;)

Matt: in reflecting on the Johnnie bubble... the one detrimental thing, I think, is that I felt very disconnected from "real world" stuff... the disconnect from the blase mundane yada yada of real world was not bad, but feeling disconnected from world affairs was not ideal. Obviously the burden was on me to do my reading and stay informed, but for a while I didn't, which I think was remiss on my part. (I'm not talking now about my weekend in SF but 4 yrs in Annapolis.) Another aspect of the bubble: the lack of historical context for the texts we read... but that would start another long train of thought and I'm typing way too much for 1 comment...

Kristi said...

Jackson: lest I forget, yes, I did tell Jake you said hello, per your request via a previous comment thread... he asked about you, and I told him you were also graduating in May, etc etc. His oral, btw, is next Thursday.

Jackson said...

Rock'n'roll! Much thanks.