Monday, May 09, 2005

new job, good job?

Hello fellow bloggers and friends and family.
so, i have news!
i have officially turned in my resignation from Tower Hill Insurance Group. (yes, i know some of you are cheering already!) I feel pretty good about it. I am going to work at Ashland, Inc. It's an oil company (Valvoline). Well, this is almost irrelevant. I mean, I don't care per se that I am working for an oil company. I think it is a move up from insurance, but... I'm not thrilled either. However, I think the job will be an improvement on all fronts: salary, benefits, job responsibilities, opportunities, practical experience. As for co-workers, my new boss goes to my church, which is an advantage- I know him and know he is a great person. However, I will feel pretty young and inexperienced- everyone I will work with has been with the company for at least 7-10 years. I will be a young newcomer. Furthermore, this place is an office metropolis. That also scares me. Office Space is becoming my world... yikes. This has never been my dream. (if only i knew what it is i dream of!)
As for the job itself, the actual title is "Secretary D" - basically, I will be analyzing financial data/budgeting reports; drafting Excel spreadsheets, charts, and graphs; creating Power Point presentations for the executives; doing internet research about the oil market and the competition; managing the schedules of 4-6 people in my department; and assisting other secretaries with misc stuff. AND there is minimal phone requirements- maybe I'll take messages from my boss' wife, so not a big deal. That is probably the best part... people won't be rude and mean and emotional over the phone with me every hour.

kudos to:
lex friend jennifer for recommending i apply for this job and telling me about it; sjc friend joseph for buying a plane ticket to come see me the weekend of my birthday; lex friend kelly for having me over for margaritas on cinco de mayo, good times; God for the nice weather and answered prayer for a new job!

5 comments:

Dwight said...

whats this I hear about you and TPS reports?

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!! Hope this one's a lot better than the last!

BTW, noticed on your reading list Utopia. I read it a long time ago but remember it being pretty good.

Jackson said...

hey, congrats. best of fortune to you at your new job.

Anonymous said...

And I was like "Rock on!"

-Dave

Anonymous said...

Amen.