Friday, February 17, 2006

Love and Reason.

"Reason discovered the struggle for existence and the law which demands that everyone who hinders the satisfaction of my desires should be throttled. That is the conclusion of reason. Reason could not discover love for the other, because it's unreasonable..."
-Levin in Anna Karenina

I finally finished reading this novel... after starting it about 8 months ago. It was a good read... but by the end, I felt as though I didn't like Anna very much, and grew tired of her story line. It was Levin who captured my interest. I think War and Peace is better, and I think that Dostoevsky is still better than Tolstoy. :)
Anyone read Anna Karenina? Thoughts?

I'm considering reading a new (to me) Russian author next - The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, margaritas...
*blink*
How 'bout Gorky?

Matt Talamini said...

I read Anna Karenina. Levin and Kitty are awesome. Anna and Vronsky are jerks, and so is Oblonsky. You're right, War and Peace is a better book.

It seemed like Levin was the only one who ever did anything on purpose. I like that about him. He's the only one who seems to have any kind of will. The other characters just did whatver they happened to do. I don't know. Good book.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristi,

Here is the Russian theologian I was suggesting: Nicolas Berdyaev. Apparently I was wrong about how long he lived - he died in 1948.

Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Berdyaev

His Book "The Russian Idea"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0940262541/sr=8-11/qid=1140551157/ref=sr_1_11/002-0328749-1488035?%5Fencoding=UTF8

-JMT