Tuesday, February 14, 2006

at least I'm not wearing black.

I've never had a reason to consider Valentine's day a significant or important or even fun holiday. But I do remember two particular Valentine's days as being somewhat memorable... and since I like to reminisce on occasion, I'll share these two memories.

The first was when I was in eighth grade. A friend and I decided that we wanted to do a "random act of kindness" for our friends and classmates. So we stayed up one weeknight and made homemade valentines using construction paper, doilies, stickers, glitter, and markers... they might not have been very pretty, but we made over 100... then we put one in each locker at school, in a spirit of anonymity and goodwill. I daresay I spotted a few strewn on the floor and stepped on, but it was fun to see the perplexity/surprise/smiles on people's faces for finding an anonymous valentine in their locker.

The second was when I was a senior at St. John's. My friend Lisa and I had no plans or date or anything for Valentine's day. But our friend Anton was kind enough to take us both out to dinner, for sushi. It was a memorable evening. We were probably the only people who requested a table for three instead of two at the restaurant, and I know that Anton could have just taken Lisa, but nevertheless I was included in their dinner out and had a great time.

Alright, enough stories.

My tirimisu was a success last weekend when I hosted a cooking club gathering. Photos hopefully to come soon...

btw: incase anyone is that curious, I do have plans tonight for V-day... I'm watching a "violent, unromanticized drama," reading Baudelaire and Bukowski aloud, drinking beer, and having a photo shoot... my date?? Just about one of the coolest people I know... I might even make sushi for her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

karen says...

Carrie and I took each other out for Vday in college - we bought each other's dinner and then went and bought a double CD to share. Much fun. I used to make a big deal about "Bitterness Day" in HS. Then senior year of college I watched Silence of the Lambs with some of my guy pals to be as unromantic as I could be.

However, I have come to appreciate the opportunity to share expressions of love, so I'm not quite so cynical. I love that you anonymously passed out homemade valentines! That's awesome.

Kristi said...

yes, well, I guess I have regressed... that is, if I was passing out valentines anonymously when I was 13, but have moved on to watching violent, testosterone-infused movies when I'm 23...