Monday, January 30, 2006

my proverbial debate

Apparently Nikon is ceasing production of most of their film cameras…

There was the advent of CDs which virtually wiped out cassette tapes which had basically obliterated 8-tracks which had replaced records…

The boom of computers and internet enabled us to be in touch with loved ones by the click of a mouse button, via emailing and instant messaging, making letter writing a lost art…

In the first example, little was missed about cassette tapes, 8-tracks, and records except maybe nostalgia.

In the second example, there is something lost as well as something gained. The convenience of email, a perk, also eliminated the artistry of letter writing. The time that is taken to make a letter long-awaited and treasured, lengthy and usually more thoughtful, is replaced by hurried, two-liner responses. Email communication can be appreciated, but it is also not costly.

I am aware that I am particularly sensitive in this area. I’ve heard discussions and am familiar with books that deal with the idea of “love languages.” For those of you that are unfamiliar, there is this philosophy that as humans we like to receive love and show love in different ways… and oftentimes, the receiving party doesn’t realize that how we may show love is not how they always feel the most loved… I am aware of at least 5 types of love languages: gifts, service, quality time, touch, encouragement. Of these five, I know that the one I like to both give and receive (perhaps the most, though maybe another ties with it for the most) is quality time. Quality time, for me, is exemplified by another individual going out of their way from the motive of love and friendship. Sacrifice in terms of time is of more value to me than a sacrifice of money, for example. At least, I feel it is of more value personally. Thus, the time it would take to write me a letter increases my appreciation and gratitude for the said letter and the letter writer. I can appreciate emails, especially when it is clear that someone took a long time writing them, or when sending a letter might be too difficult, but nevertheless it is not the same, something really has been lost.

This same logic I think applied to photography for me. Ah yes, my favorite proverbial debate…

There are many advantages to the digital realm. Yet I am very sad that the advent of digital cameras is now obliterating film and the use of darkrooms. This is where I love to be; I like to spend large quantities of time in the darkroom… even if I can accomplish the same thing by the click of a button. I have more personal satisfaction by giving of my own time and energy, as well as my creative faculties in figuring out how to do a particular manipulation, and judging photos after making several prints to compare side by side and evaluate individually, etc, etc. The effort is more, the learning process is always at play, and thus working in a darkroom becomes a labor of love, quality time well-spent.

I know there are individuals who find computers and software and digital imaging and digital manipulation fascinating and enthralling. I, too, find it fun and at times whimsical. Though I do not think I can say I have learned much except how to routinely navigate through a particular software program… the ειδος of the joy found in a darkroom is zapped in the digital process. The joy of photography is subjugated to the snapping of the photo, the moment entirely. Ansel Adams wrote a series of books about photography. For him, there were three components to photography where your skill, knowledge, and creativity were called upon: the camera, the negative, and the print. The digital process has eliminated 1, arguably 2, of these components.

All this to say… I’m sad that Nikon is going to nearly stop production of film SLR cameras. I’m sad that Kodak is ceasing production on retail photo paper. I’m sad that I may never get to spend a lot of time in the darkroom, and any time I do spend in a darkroom in the future will be underappreciated, misunderstood, and perhaps even be seen as a totally unnecessary waste of time… rather than a labor of love.

I won’t abandon my film SLR cameras, or the darkroom, if I can help it… just as I haven’t given up on letter writing… I will still strive to cultivate and relish both of these arts.

I’m a lone reed…

No comments: