Monday, January 30, 2006

70,000

My car, "Dart," hit 70,000 miles this morning. Seems like a big milestone. That's approx. 14,000 miles of driving a year, since it's a 2002 model. Ah, but nothing beats the glorious summer of 2003 when I took her for a 10,000 mile stretch along the perimeter of the U.S. of A. Mr. Turnquist and I had a grand time those three and half weeks. (FYI, for interested parties: this road trip aficionado is planning a drive to Annapolis for SJC graduation... if all goes well.)

More reminiscing: I trekked up to Troy, OH on Saturday to visit Missy Skoog, fellow Johnnie, alum, and former roommate that same glorious summer of 2003 when 4 girls managed to cram into a 2 bedroom apartment on Maryland Avenue... and yes, we (Missy-Rhonda-Char-and I) shared 1 bathroom. Fabulous times. Missy and I recalled fondly our disastrous sailing outing when I, the "captain," took unassuming Missy out for her first sail and "successfully" capsized the boat... that's the point of sailing, to capsize, right?? Oh yea, did I mention the coastguard had to come rescue us? Nice looking fellas, those coastguard guys... utterly embarassing. :)

Back to paper pushing for the time being.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Well, I thought about it, but Missy had her own room and so did Char... they were very small rooms if both were bedrooms. and those steep stairs and narrow hallways and creaky blue floorboards. So lovely. :) I especially loved climbing out the tiny kitchen window onto the adjacent roof for reading or sunbathing... though it was a hassle to get out there, and then you always wondered if that wavy blacktop might just give way and collapse...

ah yes, the muggy heat! what a trial. and the electricity going out 5-6 times a day whenever we attempted to run too many appliances at once... it was fun.

not to mention my job @ the boathouse was uber fun... and getting to bike along those bumpy brick roads? loverly. I didn't take enough pictures that summer, but I think it gave me some of my more vivid memories.

Anonymous said...

Rhonda put my hair in a million fabulous curls in that apartment, and I put on that red dress...I remember Rhonda screaming something from the window that I couldn't quite make out as I crossed the street that night - only later did I find out she had yelled, "He's going to ask her to marry him!!!" and was quickly hushed by the other girls:)

-LAM

Kristi said...

yep. I was there. :)

just barely.