Friday, October 21, 2005

beer, gelato, football, and craziness

It's Friday, which is hard to believe, and at the moment, it is a relief. I have been busy at work this week (shocker!) and in some ways it was a welcome busyness, and in others, a not-so-welcome busyness. I still have 1-2 things hanging over me today to finish up, but hopefully that will not be a problem...

Last night I enjoyed night with the fam to watch the Virginia Tech football game. My dad and cousins in VA should be proud of me... as my dad would say, "the correct team" won... (I've recently been criticized for rooting for the "incorrect" team...)

recent discovery downtown: a pizza place & pub that features 37 beers on tap with a newly opened gelato place across the street... It was close to heaven. Turkish Coffee & Caramel gelato... oh my. It was decadent.

I've also been trying more beers of late. In all honestly, I have not had that many. In fact I could probably list them all here but I might bore you. Some of my favorites have included:
Corona
Dos Equis
Shiner Bock

I also have enjoyed Guinness (draught), Rolling Rock Pale Ale, and a special Kentucky Ale that is soaked in old bourbon barrels... now that's something else...

and just because I've been in a survey mood... beer recommendations anyone??

and thus concludes Kristi's post of mere trivialities.

8 comments:

Chad B said...

Let's share some Shiner Bock this weekend so I can experience the great Texas beer!

Of course, I like the Bourbon Kentucky Ale (can only get it on tap) as I recommended to you. In addition to those fine beers you mentioned I also like:

-Great Lakes (beer from Cleveland)
-Amber Bock
-Killians

Lots of others I'll add when I get back from lunch. Here is a list of the top 100 beers:

http://chef2chef.net/rank/beers.shtml

Dwight said...

newcastle brown ale
tiger gold medal
St. Pauli Girl Special Dark
red hook ESB

Dwight said...

any oktoberfest marzen...

Kristi said...

chad: if you were going to Cleveland with me next weekend we could've shared a Great Lakes beer... but, some things are not meant to be... :P

david: glad to see there are other hokie fans out there...! however, having been born in AL and not VA is why I root for another team... but I think I can root for more than 1 team, right? That is, unless they play each other in a bowl game like they did last year...

Chad B said...

Kristi,

Dearest Sis'... I'd love to go to Cleveland, but driving 12 hours on my birthday seems a bit much this time around. However, we can drive 1.5 miles to the Liquor Barn and share a Great Lakes beer from there ;). I hate to miss that concert. dangit. dangit. dangit.

I'll also add Red Stripe to the list of beers. There are so many good beers out there... hard to narrow them down.

Jackson said...

I tell you what is a really awful beer: Milwaulkee's Best. I had a sip of that stuff and I said to myself, "Boy, if this is the Best they have to offer, then I weep for the future of Milwaulkee." Anyone who's drank a Milwaulkee's Best is really missing out on never having had one ever.

Karen said...

Ok, so a bit late, I post my beer/cider recommendations. I don't like enough beers to put them alone, so ciders are included:
-Schuylkill Punch (NO, not Philly water, but the actual beer from the Manayunk Brewery)
-Corona
-Dos Eqquis
-Killian's Irish Ale
-Rolling Rock (is ok)
-Strongbow cider
-Woodchuck cider
-Hardcore cider
-Woodpecker cider

Anonymous said...

Yuengling is really cheap around here - not much more than your Bud and Miller Lite - and it's pretty good.

You know what else is good? Black Box wine (for the price and the un-wine-snob packaging, that is). 4 bottles of wine for $16 or so, and since it's vacuum-packed, it lasts a long time.