Tuesday, August 16, 2005

me? a professional?

i definitely didn't watch the weather channel this morning. in fact, i never watch the weather channel. i never watch anything. (i think the news/t.v. has only been turned on once this year, and that was when the Discovery space shuttle was going to be taking off. and whenever the Philly Eagles had some game way back when, i watched it on my t.v.)

so it's raining. pouring. and i get to hike out to my car in 10 minutes to go on a business luncheon.
where's my rain jacket? yep, at home.
where's my umbrella? yep, at home.

normally i wouldn't mind, you know, getting soaking wet. except that at a job there is the assumption you are supposed to be presentable. supposed to be together. supposed to act like an adult and not romp around in the puddles with every flight and fancy. social mores constrain me.

i remember a friend once commenting that she was amazed people expected her to act like an adult... no kidding!

let's face it: i am not ever going to be that well-put-together-20-something, i-just-bought-this-outfit-(what-a-bargain-of-only-$90.00!) and i-spent-45-minutes-doing-my-hair and i-work-out-at-the-gym-every-other-day and i-won't-be-caught-dead-without-makeup-on and i-don't-care-if-these-heels-are-killing-me kind of gal.

Nope. not ever.

PRAISE THE LORD.

as my friend Neal said (i hope he doesn't mind me quoting him...) "somedays I barely feel qualified to dress myself!" (in other words, total amazement at those of us who are 20-something mothers or mothers-to-be or mothers-wanting-to-be.) and I'll just say... yep... it's a miracle sometimes i look presentable enough to show up at work. i still wear collared shirts passed down from my mom from the 70s. i still wear shirts that aren't quite faded enough to be exiled from the workplace that i've had since high school, and i still even have and wear sweaters that i got when i was in 7th grade.

confessions of a fashion-mind-less, i-love-my-12-euro-Greek- (odd-sunspotted-leather and support-less, cushion-less, dust-attracting all the same), i-feel-like-i'm-living-in-the-time-of-pre-Ascended-Christ-sandals gal!

No comments: