Friday, January 11, 2008

American politics from a Brit, er, a European

An interesting conversation took place this week between my new British classmate and myself:

Brit: American politics are so exciting.
American: How so?
B: You stay up all day and night watching the results come in, it’s like this exciting game. And it’s never predictable like it is in England, elections in England are so boring. But it always seems to me that those on the east and west coasts stick together in their choices while all the states in the middle go for the opposite guy. I figure everyone in the middle of the US is either really stupid or really crazy; they always pick the wrong guy.
A: For clarification, what do you mean by ‘the wrong guy’? The guy who loses or the one you don’t like or…?
B: The guy who wins.
.....
B: I don’t like to be called an Englishman.
A: How about British?
B: No, I don’t like that either.
A: Why? You live in England, right? Are you not from there?
B: Sure, I live there. But I don’t feel like an Englishman.
A: Are your parents English? Are they from England?
B: Well yes, they live in England. But they are originally from Lithuania.
A: So would you consider yourself Lithuanian?
B: Hell no. I never want to live in Lithuania.
A: Where do you want to live?
B: Wherever there is ocean and mountains.
A: How about Switzerland? They have mountains and lakes.
B: No, I want to go scuba diving. I want to live near the ocean.
A: How about Egypt?
B: No way! I’d hate everyone there.
A: How about Greece?
B: No, I also would hate it.
A: How about somewhere in Asia?
B: No.
A: Well you could come to the States. I’m sure you can find mountains and ocean there.
B: Not in the same city! I’m thinking maybe I’d live in Canada.
A: Really? Have you been to Canada?
B: No.
A: Hmm. Maybe you should stick to England… So what do you want to be called if not English?
B: I’m a European. You can call me a European.

*****

Another interesting occurrence this week at my Russian class. We had a visitor come sit in on our class. He was Turkish. He sat down in a chair next to me, and pulled out his laptop while we were going over some new vocabulary. As I glanced over, I noticed his laptop wasn’t just any laptop… it was a MacBook Pro… in fact, the exact same one as I own. It was my first time seeing someone with a Mac in Belarus besides myself… definitely NOT an everyday occurrence! (After class, I told him he had a very good computer, the same as mine. His question in response was where I am from. When I told him the States, he started talking to me in English. Said he used to live in Chicago.)

*****

I also informed my Russian teacher and classmates today that the forbidden fruit in Genesis was not (necessarily) an apple... because the Biblical account does not specify what type of fruit. My teacher was quite shocked to be debunked of her long-held notion... Once again, culture serves as the preferred foundation of truth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where I live has mountains one way and the ocean another, both within a forty minute drive, traffic allowing. Unfortunately, however, everything that lies between the beach and the mountains is fairly dreadful.

a consumate Hokie said...

You can find mountains next to the ocean at Bar Harbour, Maine, USA. It has Cadillac Mountain right next to the ocean, ferries to Canada, and is very pretty, albeit a bit chilly for me.

Unknown said...

I think saying "Not in the same city" was his nice way of saying he wouldn't ever want to live in my country... he didn't hesitate to tell me he'd 'go crazy' from or even 'hate' the people of Egypt and Greece, since there were not Egyptians nor Grecians sitting nearby... but he wasn't so brazen to say it about Americans when talking to one...

at least, this is what I gathered from the conversation.

Will said...

Try letting them in on the secret that "Humpty Dumpty" never makes mention of an egg. I can't be held responsible for what might happen next...

Jackson said...

I had a similar experience in one of my Spanish classes. My professor had somewhere gotten the false notion that Paul was a Roman centurion. I kind of regret not correcting him on that point, but I wasn't as confident in my spoken Spanish as I should have been, and the professor had a slightly intimidating personality.
Oh well; them's the breaks. Live and learn and move on.