Saturday, January 05, 2008

the cold.

It is so cold here that the roads and sidewalks have all turned white.

It is so cold here that your face feels frozen as soon as you walk outside, making you think maybe there was still moisture on your face from showering that got icy, but no, it's just that cold.

It is so cold here that you sometimes forget you are wearing gloves, because the air goes right through them.

It is so cold here that my iPod earbuds get stiff and fall out of my ears over and over again.

It is so cold here that there is not only fog and frost on the windows of vehicles, but yes, even a layer of ice that coats the insides of all the windows of the buses, completely obscuring your view to the outside... and even though buses should have heaters, most of them are not operational or are neglected to be turned on.

It is so cold here that the only warm places I have found are 1. the metro and 2. my bedroom. Ironically, since they turned the heat on in my building, it has become like a sauna in my room. I have to sleep in shorts and a t-shirt and leave my door open to get cooler air from the rest of the apartment, or the little heater in my small bedroom will make it stuffy real fast.

Ah, winter. And it has only just begun. Temperatures were -16 degrees Celsius yesterday. Oh, it will get much worse... MUCH worse...

2 comments:

Jay Wilder said...

Wow--I can't even imagine what cold like that feels like, every day. What really blows my mind is, when you're over there in Russia, how do you endure going without the conveniences of American life that we all take for granted? What's your secret? I mean, I guess on some level you do it because you kind of HAVE to since you're over there, but it must get really tough sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I know you're doing great work there but I have to say it was +22 Celsius with warm sunshine here in Raleigh yesterday - yes mid-January.