Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Whatever my lot... It is well with my soul. (and following: Confessions of a Photography Purist)

What can I say? A lot has happened I suppose. News about my job: looks like it will be lasting a while. At least 90 days, with the possibility of turning permanent with benefits after that. The job as a job is ok, I enjoy my co-workers, my supervisors are nice and sometimes actually overly attentive, I feel like I am truly helping people by listening to them relay the damage that has occurred to their homes since the hurricanes in FL, helping them move closer to rebuilding their homes and lives. With news of this hopeful stability with my job, I submitted an application for an apartment located halfway between work and family, and very close to my church. It is within walking distance to a park, a waffle house, and a public library. What more could I ask for? They also have swimming pools and tennis courts. The apartment itself is sort of small, a bedroom, bathroom, living room, and kitchen, with a small balcony off the living room. But it is more than enough for me and Leo. If all goes well, I’ll be starting the move-in this first weekend in October. On top of all this, however, I have had to deal with some incredibly distressing news in my church these past 5 days. (For those who pray: I covet your prayers for my church in Lexington.) I’m a bit tired from thinking about having to buy so many things for my new home, and the toll it is taking and will continue to take on my finances. (Though, all the same, some purchases are fun. Pier1 was having a sale- one of my favorite stores- and I bought 4 wine glasses. So many of you must be so proud, ha! I also got a big deep skillet… stir fry… omelettes… mmm.) I am struggling still about the year after this one, where I should be or go or what I should do. Seminary looks like it is getting pushed further and further away into the future. Yet in all this, in all the change and uncertainty, I can still say, it is well with my soul. (Selah.)

Other news: puppy chews up the cord on my iron in 6 places… wreaking havoc one step at a time… keeping me tired one bark and whine in the middle of the night at a time… (i'm making it sound worse than it is...)
Football: disappointments on almost every front. UK loses, VT loses… at least we expected it from UK… and at least Auburn looks like they’re doing ok… College football is the only televised sport I muster some enthusiasm for. I anticipate being pushed into enthusiasm again this fall and winter for UK basketball… at least they’re good and merit the enthusiasm.

As far as pictures go, as they have been requested: I hope to comply with the request soon, I am anxious to post some myself, for I enjoy sharing my artwork and giving you all closer glimpses of my life. Yet there are a few reasons for the delay. One: I don’t have a digital camera. Two: I have access to a scanner since I don’t have a digital camera, but the scanner is not mine and I don’t know how to work it and am awaiting instruction and available free time to do the scanning. The whole digital or non-digital debate has been, honestly, of minor importance to me. I just ignore digital for the most part, for I am pleased and content with my 35mm SLR film cameras and I love getting into the darkroom (... how I miss the darkroom at St. John's, even with all its pitfalls, shabby equipment, lack of adequate facilities... at least it was something, and it was a home for me senior year). There is really no competition in my mind. But where the change has occurred (don’t go thinking I’m selling out… at least not completely…) is that I know the sheer convenience of digital. Like posting pictures to my blog, emailing to friends, and saving the money of developing. Nothing will compare to being in a black and white darkroom and manipulating your own negative you developed and handled with your own hands, controlling every detail… with a trained eye and not just a trained mouse-clicking index finger. But digital can compete (some) in quality, and of course the convenience appeal I already mentioned. Thus… I am contemplating buying one. I am also contemplating upgrading my SLR cameras. (I really want a Nikon. They are the best.) But with digital, I don’t want something that’s low-quality… I would want a high-end digital camera to make the purchase and integration of the digital world worth it. But… my finances might not allow me for a while… we’ll see. So... it may be a while before you see pictures on here… but I’ll work on it.

No comments: