Friday, October 17, 2008

forgetfulness?

I've been asked a few times by different folks if it is hard to drive now that I'm back from Belarus. My reply is usually, no, not really. But I have discovered I am a bit more forgetful and scatter-brained, which could make for poorer driving... I have been known to decide mentally to go one route while driving, then totally miss the street or ramp I was supposed to get on, only realizing it moments or even minutes later, thereby heading in the wrong direction and having to figure out a way to change my route. Or I have just been in one of those "head in the clouds" kind of fogs at other times. Perfect example was a few nights ago. I drive home, pick up Trevor from visitor parking, and we both come to my apartment building, park the car, we get out and go inside. Trevor later leaves in his car back at visitor parking, and I stay in for the night. The next morning I get in the car, while taking a call on my cell. I mentally think, wow, the sun is really bright this morning. My car is so light! So I think, I must have left the sun roof shade open to let the sunlight in through the window in my roof.... but after I hang up, I look up, and no... I had not left the shade open, I had left the sunroof window itself open! All freaking night. And when I got in my car, it was raining. Yes, my console and seats were starting to get wet. What is bizarre, to me, about this situation was that not only did *I* not notice in my head in the clouds kind of state the night before, but neither did Trevor... two of us, completely oblivious to the fact that I was leaving my sunroof open all night long. I just wonder if this forgetfulness, unobservant nature of late has anything to do with my culture adjustments? Or am I just growing forgetful with age? (I am, after all, way past the quarter of a century mark) Hmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are getting scatter-brained with engagement. ;-)

a consumate Hokie said...

You are ok. It is only when you forget how to get out of the car that you need to start worrying.