Monday, October 08, 2007

verses out of rhythm

These days I find myself walking the autumnal streets with a smidge of melancholy and wistfulness in my spirit. I feel like singing Simon & Garfunkel. Not only that, I feel like I’m dwelling and living out their songs. Every moment in this season and weather and place makes me want to dance at a Scarborough Fair… gives me the sense that darkness is my old friend… calls me to lie down like a bridge over my troubled waters… finds me wishing I was homeward bound to someone who would comfort me… and loses me in a dangling conversation… and I sometimes get the sense as I gaze from my window to the streets below that I am a rock and an island. (Because I have plenty of books to protect me…)

Oh, what melancholy. There’s beauty in the melancholy, but these songs are but a fitting foil for the greater beauty of the reality and truth of hope and joy itself. Inexpressible and glorious it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh we miss you Kristi. We would really use a good Kristi hug about now.