Friday, November 11, 2005

a little Ryooski.

in light of beginning my trek to Belarus in 6 days, 3 hours and 12 minutes, I am thinking of bringing something Russian to read. (Seeing as how I will have LOTS of time to read/write/think... as in, I leave for Cincinnati Thursday 5:30pm, but won't arrive in Belarus until Saturday about 1:20pm their time...lots of travel, long layovers and long flights.)

As I've already read Brothers K, War and Peace, and (most of) Anna Karenina, I am looking for something else. Right now I am leaning towards Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky (pronunciation: dastaYEfskee).

Any thoughts or recommendations?

5 comments:

Kristi said...

oh whoops... I have read that one too!

And right now I'm reading Pale Fire, by Vladimir Nabokov, who was Russian, but he wrote it in English... so not sure if that counts...

Anonymous said...

Yes, Notes is a great choice! The Idiot is also wonderful.

Jackson said...

there's something rather weird to me about Kristi Meador being in the Super Ferrell Brothers' hometown of fourteen years, Cincinnati, without the Super Ferrell Brothers actually being there.
anyways, as far as the Russian book thing goes, I don't really know anything beyond Dostoevsky, and it looks like you've pretty much got that dude covered...so...um...I dunno.

Dwight said...

what about demons?

Anonymous said...

Highly, highly recommend Dead Souls by Gogol. Also, his short stories. Also, everything by Chekhov, beginning with Easter Night, then The Student, then Lady with a Little dog.

-Nicholas