Thursday, July 29, 2004

is unemployment blissful?

on the one hand, being unemployed is great. I can hang out with my dog and have time to train him (er, attempt to do so).  I can pick up odd jobs (like gardening) that I enjoy with no hesitation.  I can read all I want. (which is great when I'm focused!)  I can take random photography excursions.  I can go to the library in the middle of day when no one else is here and take forever writing this and making this blog. (ha.)  I'd say it's blissful.

On the other hand.  I have to read the classifieds. I have to look online when I'd rather be emailing.  I have to make a resume and send out applications. Write cover letters. And realize that there is nothing out there that looks appealing. Or, at least, I haven't found it yet.  So it's frustrating.  Not so blissful... the bliss is perhaps an illusion, a mist or fog that dissipates and leaves me with reality: I need money and a job to survive.  (Why must it be so?)  Or at least... in this country and culture and world I need money.

Good thing God has something planned for me.  and that I have hospitable family.  Too bad I haven't stumbled on the job for me yet, but in the meantime, the bliss is good, even if it's temporary, and the struggle through discouragement is character building and a learning experience.  (blah blah blah. we'll see.)

2 comments:

Jackson said...

All I know is, with food and covering we will be content. It's not too hard to come by food and covering. Man, I love that verse. I just wish people would quit thrusting all that other extraneous stuff in my face.
Know what I mean? Like, "Hey, this is awesome, you need this! This is a good movie, you have to go see it! And read this! And that! You haven't lived until you've been skiing! You know what, Jackson, you should go do some traveling. You haven't been to Rome? I think everyone should go to Rome if they get the opportunity." And you never, ever hear anyone say, "You haven't lived until you've decided to follow Jesus Christ." I mean, come on, people...
Anyway, it was really incredibly fun to hang out with your unemployed self last Sunday. I find it hard to imagine you especially discouraged--you're always smiling and stuff.

Dwight said...

If you wanna talk to someone about unemployment, try my bro: http://www.dydimustk.com/blog/

(although you might want to act quick, he might get a real job soon!) :-P

and, how come Jackson leaves deep, meaningful comments at your site, and silly little comments at mine?